When your child becomes sick or injured, it’s sometimes difficult to tell how serious a situation it is. You may not know whether you should choose an hospital emergency room or a pediatric care center.
While pediatric care centers and emergency rooms are similar, they have very different capabilities and come with different price tags. Emergency rooms are for the life-threatening and severe conditions that require the immediate attention of a team of specialized medical professionals supported by advanced medical technology.
Unless you are facing a life-threatening or severe condition, a pediatric care center is your best bet. You’ll definitely be seen a lot quicker and your overall cost will be lower. Your primary care pediatric doctor knows your medical history best and can provide a wide range of care—from urgent medical needs to routine checkup.
Garden State Medical Group has outlined the times when you should seek pediatric or emergency room care, the differences between them and how pediatric care is beneficial for your child. Here are a few examples of conditions that usually result in the need for emergency room treatment, and conditions that can typically be treated by pediatric care practitioners.
Typical Pediatric Care Center Conditions:
- Ear or eye infection
- Moderate fever
- Cuts that may require stitches
- Broken bones or fractures
- Severe sore throat
- Strains and sprains
- Vomiting or diarrhea
Typical Emergency Room Conditions:
- Seizure or loss of consciousness
- Severe abdominal pain
- Sudden paralysis or slurred speech
- Difficulty breathing
- Uncontrolled bleeding
What to do if you’re still unsure?
Garden State Medical Group facilities are all staffed with board-certified primary care doctors in North Bergen, New Jersey. They are well equipped to determine if your child is too ill for pediatric care, in which case they will stabilize him and send him to a hospital emergency department immediately.
Benefits of Pediatric Care
- Medical History: The best primary care physicians in Bergen County, New Jersey assert that your pediatric doctor is well aware of your child’s health and wellness history knows the medical and behavioral challenges that have to be faced. This unique understanding of your child’s medical history is highly beneficial because the pediatric doctor will be able to make faster, more knowledgeable decisions and recommendations.
- Faster Care: Emergency Rooms are designed to care for the most urgent cases first. If you go to the ER for a less severe issue, you are likely run into a long wait time.
- Less stressful: A familiar place with familiar faces will help make the ordeal less stressful for everyone involved.
- Follow-up appointments will be easier: Depending on your child’s injury or sickness, follow up appointments may be necessary. Scheduling an appointment with your pediatric doctor will be much easier if they already know the history of the issue.
We’re here to help!
At Garden State Medical Group, we’re proud to provide the highest-quality comprehensive care to your family.
We are present at many convenient locations in New Jersey to help offer the immediate care one needs. And as a clinic networked with the best doctors in New Jersey and area hospitals, our medical staff is able to address any issues relating to your health. Our walk-in clinic North Bergen, New Jersey is just one example.
Contact us today to learn more.